Thursday, January 22, 2009

Kevin Powell Shares The Blueprint


(spotted @ Black Voices)
'The Black Male Handbook: A Blueprint for Life,' written by Kevin Powell, who recently ran for a Congressional seat in Brooklyn (which he lost in a tough battle against 13-time incumbent Edolphus Towns), is not just empowering black males, he is also giving them hope and a prescription for living a successful life through highlighting the stories and experiences of other black males who have made it.

"I've been carrying this book around in my head for several years," he said. "In my work with black males, I often get asked, 'What should we be reading?' and 'What music should we be listening to?' and 'How should we be preparing ourselves for job interviews?' I mean, I would get hit with all kinds of questions from pre-teens to men in their seventies. And I realized that there was this huge void for black males. This book is an attempt to fill that void."




No comments: